Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hobbies

Steven Pinker, psychologist

Rock lyrics

Just let me hear some of that rock and roll music, any old way you choose it, it's got a back beat, you can't lose it, any old time you use it. I know that classical music is more sophisticated, but - I feel like I'm confessing to a murder - I just don't listen to it. The 1,900 songs on my iPod include jazz, blues, soul, klezmer and country, but the largest single category (49.4%) is rock. In my books, I've analysed rock lyrics for their relevance to linguistics: Bob Dylan's "God said to Abraham, kill me a son" is a perfect example of a benefactive double-object dative construction; Paul McCartney's "She could steal but she could not rob" illustrates a subtle contrast in lexical semantics. I've also used them to exemplify features of human nature: Jim Croce's "You don't mess around with Jim" explains the psychology of reputation; John Lennon's "I want you so bad it's driving me mad", though hardly the most poetic expression of endearment, encapsulates the logic of paradoxical tactics in courtship and similar problems of binding one's implicit promises. Still, I can't say that my musical tastes are driven by my scholarly passions. In the words of a certain poet and philosopher: it's only rock'n'roll, but I like it.

Tirado de uma lista onde constam depoimentos de vários intelectuais a falar dos seus hobbies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes,"The GOOD TASTE is the death of art.", said a great writer.





hi .....hi5

2/07/2007 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker